Winter is almost past!

The Crocus blooms as Spring nears

My beloved speaks and says to me: "Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away, for behold, the winter is past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. The fig tree ripens its figs, and the vines are in blossom; they give forth fragrance. Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away.
~Song of Solomon 2:10-13 (ESV)


Out of the frozen earth below,
Out of the melting of the snow,
No flower, but a film, I push to light; No stem, no bud yet 1 have burst
The bars of winter, I am the first
O Sun, to greet thee out of the night!
Deep in the warm sleep underground
Life is still, and the peace profound:
Yet a beam that pierced, and a thrill that smote
Call'd me and drew me from far away;
I rose, I came, to the open day
I have won, unshelter'd alone, remote.

~"THE CROCUS" by HARRIET E. H. KING

Poetry excerpt from Handbook of Nature Study. You can read about the Crocus in this handbook on pages 547-549.


Comments

Popular Posts