Enjoying Fall in Indiana ~ Weekly Wrap-Up


In my life this week…
Life has been busy in our household for the past few weeks. It has been a good kind of busy. I have been spending my days with my family and cherishing life in general.

The early mornings are a quiet spot in my day (usually the only quiet time) and I have been studying through the book of Colossians with Good Morning Girls. This study has been a tremendous blessing to me. This week begins week five of eight. If you haven't already, come join the study.

In our homeschool this week…
My niece Zolie Grace, who will be two at the end of November, is the newest member of Heritage Academy (our family homeschool). I am having so much fun with the kids this year!


Zolie loves to join us for reading time. She enjoys doing tot activities while the big kids are working on their school work.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Relax. Enjoy God's creation. Cherish time with family. Take walks. Read good books. Bake cookies.

I am inspired by… 
We have enjoyed gorgeous fall weather in Central Indiana so far this season. We have been going on weekly field trips and soaking in the sunshine, blue skies, and changing colors of the trees.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We just completed our sixth week of Classical Conversations Anderson. Our CC community is small, close-knit, and such a blessing. I would have to say that our CC community day is our favorite time of the week.


My favorite thing this week was…

This past week at Classical Conversations Anderson, we took a nature walk to the quaint little West 8th Street park, located in the downtown historic district. The park is similar to an English garden and it was enchanting. Normally, this walk is scheduled in Week #9, but we moved it up in October to enjoy the good weather.

Briyah and Malachi love to climb trees and explore creeks. It reminds me so much of my 70's childhood.
Malachi informs us on a regular basis that he wants to be a scientist. He loved running around the park collecting leaves, bugs, and other items.


Briyah was thrilled to find a cicada exoskeleton during the nature walk. We also learned from our friends that some yellow jackets appear to sleep when cold, but when they warm up they wake up. We observed this to be true after some of the yellow jackets collected (which we thought were dead) starting moving around after warming up. We had to promptly take them back outdoors.

Nature study is one of our focal points of study this year. August, September, and October have provided us with plenty of good weather days for exploration. This month, we are studying trees, with Handbook of Nature Study, for the October Outdoor Hour Challenge. I hope we can really expand our base of knowledge on tree identification. We can only identify a few trees and we have so much to learn on this subject.

Do you make nature study a regular part of your homeschooling journey? What are your favorite resources for nature study?


Linking up with:







Comments

Amy Maze said…
I live in Michigan so our falls are beautiful too! Thanks for sharing your week with us at Trivium Tuesdays! Looks like you guys had fun!
Mary Prather said…
Hi Sharra!

Thanks for linking with Collage Friday. I just love this: "Relax. Enjoy God's creation. Cherish time with family. Take walks. Read good books. Bake cookies."

I enjoyed reading your post. Blessings for a great week!

Popular Posts