Healthy Peanut Butter Crispy Rice Bars

 photo null_zps347b1516.jpg

Periodically, I ban refined sugar from our home. This happens to be one of those seasons. I have wanted to eliminate sugar from our diet for a while, but it took a few health crisis events for us to truly heed the wake-up call.

Sugar, be gone! I am serious this time.

However, the kids love to have special treats and I enjoy whipping up goodies for them to eat. So, I am in the process of giving some regular recipes a makeover. Today, I made these quick and easy Peanut Butter Crispy Rice Bars and they were a hit.
 photo null_zps18147b10.jpg

This recipe is approved by my nephew Malachi. Please let me know if you try and enjoy them!

Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
  • 3 cups of crispy rice cereal (any brand of crispy or puffed rice cereal)
  • 1/2 cup of honey (you can probably use other syrup)
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract

Instructions:


  1. Oil a baking dish or pan (9x9 or 8x8)
  2. Mix peanut butter and honey in a medium saucepan.
  3. Heat on low and stir until combined and melted.
  4. Turn off heat. Stir in crispy rice cereal and mix thoroughly.
  5. Pour the mixture into the oiled baking dish.
  6. Press down with a spatula or spoon until the top is flattened out.
  7. Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap.
  8. Cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
  9. Use a sharp knife and cut into squares.
  10. Yields approximately 8 large squares or 16 small squares.
 photo null_zpsb25d8270.jpg

I used raw honey as the sweetener in this recipe. I found some Colorado Star Thistle Honey from Bee Raw at Super Target. It was on clearance at Super Target for only $2 a jar and this sells at the Bee Raw website (they are sold out) for $14 a jar. Don't make the same mistake as me! If you see this on clearance at your local Target, be sure to stock up. I only picked up a few jars of this delicious goodness and this is our very last jar.

Do you have any quick and healthy treat recipes you can share with me? I would love to try some new ones!

Comments

Popular Posts